Small Claims Court Q&As
Further information can be referred to the Small Claims Court website at http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/
Q: What is Small Claims Court?
Small Claims Court handles cases where the amount of money or value of the goods involved with the monetary jurisdiction of $35,000 or less, excluding costs and interest.
Q: What are the reasons that you sue in the Small Claims Court?
- To get the money back that is owed to you by the defendent
- For damages to you or/and your property as a result of action by the defendent
- To get goods/ property which you believe belong to you.
Q: What are the considerations before filing a claim?
- To identify the proper parties in your dispute
- To identify the location involved in your dispute
- To determine whether there is any merit in your filing the claim
- To determine whether it is worth filling a claim in terms of cost, claim compensation and chance of wining
Q: What types of Small Claims Court services does Trustworthy Legal Services offer?
- Completing and filing of Claims --- Plaintiff's Claims or Defendant's Claims
- Attendence at Pre-Trials or Settlement Conference
- Preparation and attendance on Motions
- Preparation and attendance at Trials
- Enforcement of Judgments - Seizure and sale of property or land, Garnishments (bank accounts, wages or other debt), Judgement Debtor Examinations, Judgement and Orders from other tribunals.